"I have no greater joy than to hear that my children are walking in the truth." 3 John 1:4

Monday, January 25, 2010

Sewing in December and January

I’ve really been wanting to make a string quilt for the guest bed at our house.  After seeing this post and this one on string quilting, here’s what I came up with. 

I think I have about 30 5” squares and would like to make a queen size quilt.  It will take me a while…  I’ll post pictures one day when I finish it!

String Blocks You may have noticed that there are several very old, very traditional (country…yikes!) pieces of fabric here.  Yes!  I am using up fabric from very old stashes.  I’m not kidding…some of those pieces are at least 20 years old.  Isn’t that ridiculous?

I went through boxes, plastic bags and containers, paper sacks…you name it!  I spent the better part of 2 days pressing and folding that fabric and couldn’t believe how much I actually had!  Here are my old pinks…I know, they look peach.  I’m not a great photographer, sorry.Pink FabricsI have several ideas for quilts and sewing projects requiring new, cute fabric.  But this string quilt will definitely be made of (dare I call it?) vintage fabric. 

Here’s a lap quilt I also made with old scraps.  I used Sharyn Craig’s book, “Layer ‘em Up”.  So fun and easy!  This is a gift for a friend who helped in our mission work in Honduras.

Layer 'Em Up

Here’s my little tote I made from a charm pack of Mary Engelbreit’s “Recipe for Friendship” by Moda.  Notice the cute little bottom corners?  Yeah, they were supposed to be boxed.  I totally sewed the corners the wrong direction.  Oh well, I like it anyway.  I lined it with denim.  This is based on this tutorial.

Tote

No comments: