"I have no greater joy than to hear that my children are walking in the truth." 3 John 1:4

Friday, December 25, 2009

Quiet

Sometimes quiet is really, really nice.  Sometimes it’s overrated. 

Our Christmas celebration with our kids and grandkids is over.  Our cabin in the woods is quiet.  Steve and I are in and out of sleep as we sit in our chairs.

Last night at our house was fun, crazy, loud, awesome, special and more…We were yelling over the craziness and still had trouble getting each other’s attention.  Wrapping paper was flying, kids were squealing…there were lots of smiles, giggles, hugs…It was wonderful! 

Maddy and Jack were explaining their sweet gifts they each bought me…Maddy at her school store and Jack on his school field trip to Mighty Dollar. 

Noah had to wait until the very end to open his *huge* gift…the largest under the tree…until every other gift was opened!  He was almost beside himself.

Luke enjoyed his 2nd Christmas and, though he doesn’t actually “get it”, he had fun unwrapping and playing with his toys!

Georgia enjoyed hers and Luke’s toys and…ate wrapping paper!

Being together like this brings memories of Christmases past to mind.  Our three little kiddos “chomping at the bit”, waiting for Mama and Daddy to get up so they could go see what Santa had left them.

I was also reminded of some Christmases spent with our parents…in N. Carolina with Steve’s mom and stepdad…Melanie took her first steps at their house the Christmas of 1978…and in Florida with my daddy and stepmom.  I remember Daddy saying how much fun it was to have children in his house for Christmas and that it just wasn’t the same without little kids squealing with delight on Christmas morning.

And, of course, there are those really special memories of my childhood…Until my 2 brothers and I were practically all teenagers, my aunt, uncle and 2 cousins from Texas spent Christmas Eve night with us in Arkansas and we all 5 would try to stay up to see Santa but then were a little afraid that if we did, he wouldn’t leave us anything.  I remember times when we swore we heard him on the roof!  After the parents took turns coming in (usually about 5 times) to tell us to be quiet or Santa was not coming, we’d finally drift off to sleep.

Our parents, aunt and uncle would stay up late talking and laughing…waiting for us to go to sleep so they could work their Santa magic.  And it *was* magical!  The Christmas I remember the most was the one where I got a little red record player!

After breakfast we would drive the 15 miles to my grandmother’s house where all the aunts, uncles and cousins would be…a house full!  I remember my grandmothers chicken and dressing and all the pies and cakes up high on the buffet.  I remember that my grandmother never sat down.  She waited on everyone the entire meal. 

It was never quiet at my grandmother’s house when we were all there.  And I think the adults had as much fun as we did…

So, yes…I’m enjoying the quiet right now.  And as soon as I finish this post, I’m going to take a little nap.  But honestly, I love the noise and craziness that happens when we are all together.  I do.  I love it…

No comments: