"I have no greater joy than to hear that my children are walking in the truth." 3 John 1:4

Saturday, July 4, 2009

Trust

Tonight Steve and I went to Melanie and Jared’s house to celebrate Independence Day a day early.  We all sat outside in the gloriously cool night air as the children retreated inside to play.  Well…all except for Jack, who was catching fireflies.

He was finally able to hold on to one…maybe because it could no longer fly after being in a small boy’s loving hands for so long.  He even named it…He told stories about it…He really wanted to keep it as a pet.

But then he decided to go inside to play with the other kids.  Mommy told him he couldn’t take it inside…  “No, not even in your pocket.”  What to do?  There were 8 of us adults outside and he came to me, his Dani, and asked in that sweet Jack voice that I cannot resist, “Dani, would you hold my lightening bug for me?”  Of course, I said “Yes”.  I took it and he looked up at me and asked, “Dani, you won’t let it go, will you?”  “No, Jack, I promise that I will not let go.”  And I didn’t.

No comments: