"I have no greater joy than to hear that my children are walking in the truth." 3 John 1:4

Sunday, July 6, 2008

An Open Letter to My Son-in-Law, Jared

Dear Jared,

I hope I don't embarrass you too much by publishing this letter for the world (or the tens of people who read my blog) to see. But this is something I feel like sharing because otherwise, many people may never know what an exceptional person you are.

Each year that you are married to our precious daughter, Melanie, I love you more. I think many people know the "funny Jared" and several know the "hard-working Jared"...but I'm not sure how many know the "sensitive Jared".

It's this side of you...the sensitive side...that I want to celebrate in this letter.

And so, I love and appreciate you for :

  • Loving our daughter and our grandchildren with all your heart
  • Wanting to be with family on holidays and regular days and embracing our extended family as your own
  • Giving Steve a precious letter in the airport before we left for Honduras (He still keeps that letter in his Bible and reads it often)
  • Being so emotional when little Madeline was born. You seemed to be overcome by the awesomeness of bringing a child into the world
  • Handing little Noah to your dad minutes after he was born and saying, through tears, "I'd like you to meet your grandson, Noah Murl Smalling..."
  • Agreeing with Melanie when she wanted to be induced with Jack so that Steve "Poppi" could be in the country for the birth
  • Holding the tiny bundle that was Ruby to your chest, with your face buried in her blanket, crying because your heart was breaking.
  • Embracing the fact that she would always be a part of the family
  • Allowing Melanie to grieve for as long as it took...
  • Being strong for your family when you, too, were grieving...
  • Being Melanie's "focal point" when she was in labor with Luke...The way you were talking to her constantly in a sweet, soothing voice and she, eyes closed, listening and following, made it seem you were experiencing the contractions along with her
  • Taking the first week off work after Melanie and Luke came home from the hospital to take care of everything
  • Putting your family before your job...

Those are just a few reasons why I am thankful to have you in our family. May God richly bless you as you continue to lead your family to heaven.

Love,

Jeanne

3 comments:

Melanie said...

I must say I agree wholeheartedly. I need to print this out and keep it somewhere that I can see it on those "rare" days when I get annoyed at him :) I don't even think I knew about the letter to Dad. I am so thankful for the man that he is and for the man that he is constantly striving to be. Thank you for appreciating him, too!

Erin Christine said...

jeanne-
that is so sweet! i know that Jared is also blessed to have a mom-in-law like you! i love gettig on here and seeing what new and then on to melanie's! i truely and fully understand what it is like to be torn between 2 countries. i always thought how wonderful it would be if warping was invented! anyway, hope all is well. take care. erin

Midwest Mommy said...

This is so sweet. What a lucky guy to have you as a mother in law!