"I have no greater joy than to hear that my children are walking in the truth." 3 John 1:4

Monday, June 9, 2008

The Story of LUKE, according to Dani


I like my paci!



All hands on Luke!



They're sticking my foot!



Precious Baby

I will post more photos later...

Luke Wesley Smalling, aka "Blueberry" or "Little Boy Blue", entered safely into this world at 10:15 p.m., Friday, June 6, 2008. THANK YOU, GOD!

You can also read Melanie's and Jared's posts on www.smallingworld.blogspot.com.

As a friend mentioned to me today, if the Smalling family had really wanted to name this baby boy after a fruit, "Blueberry" wouldn't have worked..."Watermelon" would be more appropriate. Funny, Sandra!

Are you sitting down? Our beautiful new grandson weighed 11 pounds, 1 1/4 ounces and is 22 inches long!!! No...I'm not kidding. Our Melanie delivered this son of theirs without the benefit of drugs. What an amazing woman!

I've been waiting for her to blog first because I felt that after what she went through, she should have first blogging rights!

She's still a little tired and for some reason just doesn't have a whole lot of time to write a long blog at this moment, so I'll give some details.

Luke was nice enough to begin hinting to his mommy that it might be time to head for the hospital after we all woke up on Friday morning. We got "the call" from Melanie around 8 a.m. or so (can't remember exactly). Steve and I got ready, picked up Shirley and Gerald (Jared's parents) and headed for Nashville!

On the way, I talked to Melanie and/or Jared a couple of times and realized we had plenty of time to take S & G to the house to keep the kids. We also made a side trip to David & Maggie's house in Hendersonville to let Libby (their dog--formerly ours--we were keeping while they were on vacation) stay at her own house while we were at the hospital.

Anyway...when Steve and I finally got to the hospital around lunchtime, we were hoping things had progressed a lot, but they hadn't. This labor was really different from Melanie's previous ones, which had been pretty fast. With the three full-term babies, she never had time to walk or enjoy her big nice room or laugh and visit and get terribly hungry. The other times, they pretty much got to the hospital and things went fast from there. Coming from Bowling Green each time, we barely made it with Noah and Jack!

Throughout the day, Melanie felt okay...had contractions...sometimes fairly regular; sometimes not, but most of them weren't real strong. She was able to walk around as much as she wanted to and only had to be hooked up to the monitor for 15 minutes out of every hour. Jared and Steve actually felt quite safe in going to a restaurant away from the hospital for dinner. Melanie rested some but was beginning to be pretty tired and HUNGRY!

The guys got back with my dinner around 7:00 p.m. (I'm guessing). Steve and I went to the waiting room so Melanie wouldn't have to smell my food. When we returned, Melanie was in good labor ("good" meaning the kind that gets babies born). She was in the middle of a contraction and deep concentration with Jared inches from her, softly talking her through it.

"Talking her through it" doesn't even begin to describe what my sweet son-in-law was actually doing. I have a feeling Melanie will blog about that experience, so I won't go into great detail here. I will say, however, that I have never loved that boy more than I did during those last few hard hours of labor.

So...Friday night, June 6, 2008, at 10:15, I was blessed to again witness the birth of a grandchild...our daughter's 5th delivery! What an awesome experience to watch MY "baby girl" joyfully, painfully, gratefully bringing a healthy baby of HERS into this world.

Saturday night after I read to, prayed with and tucked in Maddy, Noah and Jack, it hit me...really for the first time since Luke's birth...how smoothly Melanie's pregnancy had gone; how God had seen her through this incredible miracle of childbirth safely; and how He had blessed us all with a perfect, healthy baby boy. Finally, the emotions stored up in this mother/grandmother came pouring out and I hit my knees, thanking God over and over...

More to come later. Right now I'm going to bed!

No comments: