"I have no greater joy than to hear that my children are walking in the truth." 3 John 1:4

Monday, June 23, 2008

After my week with the grandkids...

I just spent a week with Melanie, Jared and the kids.  Jared took time off from work during the first week Melanie and baby Luke were home.  I was honored to be there to help out during the second week.  It was an awesome time...fun, hard, hilarious, tiring, special...unforgettable!  I loved it!!!

I have several good blog ideas after my time with the grandkids!  I also have a couple of good ones about Melanie and Jared.  But this one is about how I felt when the week was over.  I had three almost simultaneous thoughts/feelings as I returned to our home in Bowling Green:

*How extremely blessed I am

I thoroughly enjoyed my time with the grandchildren.  Sure, there were a few meltdowns, some tattling and whining that I helped deal with, but the hugs & kisses, bright morning faces, cooking together and tucking in at night definitely outweighed those little incidents.

I loved watching Melanie with baby Luke.  She's a nurturing, precious mother who loves her children dearly.  It was neat when Jared came home every evening to "Daddy!" from the kiddos and to see him holding the "little" one.

 

*How I love peace and quiet

As I walked into the house in B.G., I actually said, "Ahhhh..."  For the first time in several days, I had complete peace and quiet.  If I wanted to go to bed, I could.  If I wanted to watch t.v., read, go shopping or do absolutely nothing, I could.

 

*That Melanie rarely gets to experience this peace and quiet but will one day be where I am.

Melanie can't "go home" to the freedom, peace and quiet I described above.  She IS home!  Home is an 8 1/2-year-old (going on 13) daughter who is into "all things fairy" right now. 

Home is a 6-year-old son (Melanie calls him "her happiness") who is finding his place in the middle of the family. 

Home is a 3 1/2-year-old son who is loud, constantly busy and likes to annoy his big brother and sister...but...is just the sweetest, cutest and funniest little boy ever! 

Home is a precious 2-week-old baby son who, of course, takes up most of her time right now.

But one day she will turn around and they will be adults!  There will be no more toys strewn all over the house or children arguing and tattling or complaining about what she's fixing for supper.  One day she, too, will have a peaceful and quiet home, get reacquainted with her husband, enjoy being a grandmother, go to the bathroom alone, have a telephone conversation without a dozen interruptions, do pretty much as she pleases...

That day is not today...

I love you and respect you and Jared so much!

2 comments:

Melanie said...

Thank you so much for all you've done for us!!! And I'm so thankful for your insights and thoughts and the fact that you share them with not just me, but other young moms. Thank you for all that you are and do. I am one blessed girl!

Teresa Kimbel said...

Okay, so if I can see through the tears [I hadn't read your blog in awhile, so I read several all at once]WOW! I want you to know just how special you REALLY are to Steve, Melanie, Jarrod, the grandkids, David, Maggie, everybody, but, especially from my viewpoint, ME. I love the fact that we can share your tears and my tears, your happiness and my happiness, together. Regardless of what countries we are in, distance does not separate our hearts, our minds and our spirit. We have the same Father we listen to everyday, and thank-you God, we both have our own ways of expressing ourselves that are so unique to us.

Jeanne, you are such a great example to me of what danis ought to be and I have learned so much from you. I, now, cannot wait to make bear pancakes for Bella with chocolate eyes I cannot eat, because I know she'll want to make them just like your grandkids do.

It is amazing the "steps" that we have climbed and that we have come to the height we've come. Isn't it true that our children have no idea how much farther they can climb, but isn't it great that we know they can!

Praise be to God who takes us by the hand and leads us to the mountain tops, when we've just come through the valleys.

I love you, Jeanne. Thanks for sharing your heart.