"I have no greater joy than to hear that my children are walking in the truth." 3 John 1:4

Monday, October 22, 2007

What kind of name is "Dani" for a grandmother?

Before my first grandchild was born...Madeline Jean, December 12, 1999, I thought and thought about what I wanted to be called. Years earlier I had said that when I became a grandmother, I just wanted to be called "Granny". But when the time actually got closer, I realized that I was way to young for that! So, I decided on "Grandmommy". I thought that just sounded sooo sweet!

So, the morning little Maddy was born (I was there to witness her birth, as I have been for all the others...), the first time I held her, I said, "Hello Madeline...Grandmommy loves you!" At that moment, I realized that the name was just too long. Shortly before Maddy was born, my dear friend, Ruth, had her first granddaughter (also Madeline), and she called herself "Granna". I thought that was really cute so I kind of "borrowed" it.


By the time Maddy was old enough to finally talk, what came out was "Dani" (That's Melanie's spelling...) I corrected Maddy for a little while but then decided I liked "Dani". I don't know of any other grandmother with that name, so it makes it even more special. Maddy likes to tell people that she gave me that name! :-) And...well....she did! Thanks, Maddy, I love it!!! David (our oldest son), asked me one time if that meant his children would have to call me that too. Well, of course!!! That's my name...

5 comments:

Michael and Hannah said...

You're one hip Dani! I wish my mom would blog! This is Hannah, Erin Rhodes' sister. I've enjoyed reading Melanie's blog. Just wantead to let you know we're praying for your ministry in Honduras.

Maggie White said...

I love the name "dani." I hope when we have babies they call you dani too!! Love, Maggie

Dana said...

I think it's a great name. But, you probably won't find it on a greeting card!

Zoe's Mommy said...

Okay... that brought tears to my eyes! I love that she calls you Dani and that she is proud to have named you. I can't wait to see what Zoe names Martha Ellen!! My mom is already Mimi :o)

Kate said...

I think this is a great story. I wonder if Cole will do this, too. This weekend his "Gran" came to visit. It was hilarious to see her pressuring him to say, "Gran." We'll see where he goes with that one... Love you.